Electron Microscopy

View Only
  • 1.  ABRF 2024 Meeting Structural Biology session

Posted 11-06-2023 09:51

Hello,

My name is Thayumana "Soma"Sundaram, a structural biologist and macromolecular X-Ray single crystal core facility director at Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. I am in the process organizing a session at the 2024 ABRF Annual Meeting in April 2024. The session will touch upon structural biology cores like X-ray, EM. NMR, etc. and the transition happening and challenges we face in maintaining equipment in them.

Are any of you planning to attend the meeting or wanting to talk about the idea mentioned above at the annual meeting? If so, please let me know. My email ID is "tsomasundaram@fsu.edu". 

Since this community forum is new with few but growing membership, if you know of someone who is planning to attend or wanting to present their work but not a member, please forward this message to them.

Thanks in advance.  

Thayumana "Soma"sundaram

Institute of Molecular Biophysics

FSU, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4380, USA

(850)644-6448 | tsomasundaram@fsu.edu

www.biophysics.fsu.edu/soma | ORCID: 0000-0002-3629-5117

------------------------------
    Thayumanasamy Somasundaram
    Senior Research Associate
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee FL
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: ABRF 2024 Meeting Structural Biology session

Posted 11-07-2023 08:22
    Hi Soma,

My name is Chris Brantner.  I am the Director of the Electron Microscopy Core Imaging Facility at the University of Maryland Baltimore.  I will be attending ABRF 2024 in Minneapolis.  I am certainly interested in the topic of how to maintain instrumentation with limited funding, but increasing interest and usage.

Chris

Christine A Brantner, Ph.D.
    Research Associate Professor, Dept of Oncology and Diagnostic Sciences, SOD
    Associate Professor, Dept of Microbiology and Immunology, SOM
    Director, Electron Microscopy Core Imaging Facility
    School of Dentistry / School of Medicine
    University of Maryland Baltimore
    660 West Redwood St.
    Howard Hall, room 696
    Baltimore MD 21201
    410-706-7992 O/301-312-2521 Cell

Support the Cores that Support Your Research.  Acknowledge the Cores in Publications.
    "University of Maryland School of Medicine's and School of Dentistry's Electron Microscopy Core Imaging Facility – Baltimore, Maryland."

• 3.  RE: ABRF 2024 Meeting Structural Biology session

Posted 11-15-2023 08:56

Hi Christine,

I hope you received my earlier email about the session at ABRF annual meeting and the proposal I had suggested. I assume you are still interested in speaking about CryoEM. I have also spoken to a Biomolecular NMR scientist at Vanderbilt and he too is interested in talking about his technique and the challenges we all face with high cost equipment in a niche core users.

Do you have some time to talk to me so that we can discuss it in some detail and avoid lengthy back and for the email exchanges?

I have some free time on Thu, Nov 16, and Fri, Nov 17 after 2 PM.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------

Thayumanasamy "Soma"sundaram, Ph.D.

Distinguished University Scholar

Institute of Molecular Biophysics

FSU, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4380, USA

(850)644-6448 | tsomasundaram@fsu.edu

www.biophysics.fsu.edu/soma | ORCID: 0000-0002-3629-5117

---------------------------------------------